Preposition of Place
Prepositions of location
useful expressions to give directions
in back of / Behind
How do I get to the police station?
Can you tell me where the police station is?
Far from / near(by)
In, on, at
In front of
across from/ opposite
Walk / go up/down for two blocks until/to…
go straight ahead (for one block)
to the right of
Go to the end of the (next) block …
It’s about 50 meters from here.
It’s in the middle of the block.
Take the first street on the left.
It’s on the right/left
Cross …/ It’s crossing
on/at the corner of …and …
to the left of
turn (to the) right/left
make a right/left
It’s over here/there
It’s close to the street
Observe the map and choose the correct preposition.
1. The music store is Santos Dumont Street and Rosa e Silva Avenue.
2. The hospital is the pet shop.
3. The toy store is the music store and the restaurant.
4. The supermarket is the restaurant.
5. The fast food restaurant is Amélia Street.
6. The bookstore is the supermarket.
7. The bank is on Santos Dumont Street the flower shop.
8. The school is Amélia Street and Rosa e Silva Avanue.
9. The pet shop is Amélia Street.
10. The flower shop is Santos Dumont Stree.
What's the best way to the post office? (Use the map for orientation.)
- Excuse me, where is the post office, please?
- at the next corner.
- Then until you come to the traffic lights.
- The post office is the cinema.
Exercises on giving directions and locations
Exercises on there is and there are:
Excuse me! Where is … McDonalds
Excuse me how do I get to …
Excuse me I am looking for …
How to give directions
1. Go + (right / left / down / up / straight).
2. Take + (your right /your left / road name).
3. Turn + right / left
4. Stay on + road name + for half an hour (distance or time)
Use transition words like:
1. After that (take Brazil Avenue)
2. Then ((you)turn right)
3. Next (you will see a super market, Saga Flabella, a church)
4. When you get to (the church) down the hill /up the slope )
5. Finally ( you will see the house)
v A red building on your right.
v Across McDonalds
v Diagonally opposite to the Police station
v It’s a very busy road.
v It’s a one way lane.
v There might be …