Less is the comparative form of little. It is used especially before uncountable nouns. Fewer is the comparative of few. It is used before plural nouns. For example:
- Jeff drinks less alcohol than John.
- I have fewer pairs of shoes than I used to have.
Examples for fewer / less
- I missed less work this year than last.
- John has fewer fishing lures than Jack does.
- Cherie drinks less wine than she used to.
- Fewer than five children live in this apartment building.
- We wear less clothing in hot weather.
- She gets in fewer workouts than he does.
- I tend to wear a lot less perfume on weekdays.
- We grew fewer squashes in our garden than we did last season.
Unscramble the words under the line to complete the sentences
1. Polly can be moody sometimes, that's why ____________________________________.
Victor /friends / has / fewer / she / than
2. Victor loves children and __________________________________________________.
more /he /Polly / has / patience /than
3. Victor works in a big circus; _________________________________________________.
than/ he / less / time/ got/ has/ Polly
4. Polly 's parents are very rich; ________________________________________________.
more/ she/ than/ Victor/ money/ has
5. Victor is a clown; __________________________________________________.
he /funny /has /than /more /Polly /clothes.
6. Polly would like to be a clown but ____________________________________________.
Than/ she/ has/talents/ Victor/ fewer
7. Victor has a lot of clothes so ________________________________________________.
more/ Polly/ suitcases/ than/ has/ he
8. Polly is very young so _____________________________________________________.
than/ less/ has/ she/ experience/ Victor/
9. Victor' life is hard: __________________________________________________.
luck /less /he /Polly /than /has
10. Polly doesn't travel much; _________________________________________________.
Victor /less /has /she/ luggage /than /got
11. Victor knows lots of funny stories; ___________________________________________ .
/he /more //has /than /humour /Polly
12. Polly isn't a clown so _____________________________________________________.
/ ideas /has /Victor /she /fewer /funny /than